CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday 7 July 2010

Red, White & Blue Penny Black Saturday Challenge

Good afternoon and hoorah! I managed to complete a challenge this week.

The weather has been gorgeous again and there is a lovely breeze here today. Haven't seen much of the weather though having been in the shop but the weekend is a-coming. Enjoyed taking the kids swimming last weekend and had a chuckle covering hubby in the shop on Sunday as he went to Santa Pod to a Jap Car Show. I don't usually do Sundays.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. Here is my card for the Penny Black Saturday Challenge this week:


Scalloped card blank: Craftwork Cards
Pale blue backing paper: cannot remember brand name
Penny Black stamp: Constellations (3867K)
Butterflies: Verve Stamp set - Petals & Stems
Distress Inks: Broken China and Fired Brick
White embossing powder
Versacolor Vanilla ink cube 
Glossy Accents
Red craft wire
Sentiment: no brand name
Red organza ribbon

Now this week I decided to try a new technique for me. I did some embossed resist stamping. I had been looking at Jennifer McGuire's blog and decided to have a go as her cards looked stunning but not over complicated for the likes of myself to try!!

I stamped my image using the Versacolor vanilla ink cube (I don't have any white or I'd have used that) and then covered it with white embossing powder and put the heat gun to it. After cooling I used the Broken China distress ink and just rubbed the ink pad all over it then left it to dry. I have to say I was really pleased with the result and loved the colour. 

To add the red, I attached my image to some red card.


Then I decided to use some of my Verve stamps and stamped a couple of butterflies with the Fired Brick distress ink. I left them to dry and just cut out the wing parts. Folded them up at the centre to give some dimension and made some antennae using some red craft wire which I wrapped round part of a safety pin to get the curly bits. I attached these to the back of the butterflies using Glossy Accents as it dries really well and holds things really tight.


I punched a little hole in my sentiment tag and added a piece of red ribbon. Then, I stuck all the bits on and voila!

Thanks for having a look.

Sue x





3 comments:

Kath Stewart

wow sue....gorgeous card..love your take on the colour combo and thanks for joining in the fun this week at Penny Black Saturday...hugs kath xxx

Joey

Hi Sue

gorgeous card I love the way you have used this stamp! thanks for joining us at penny black saturday

Joey.x

debby4000

Oh this is gorgeous Sue, beautiful butterflies they make a perfect finishing touch.
luv
Debby

Post a Comment